Adult Spelling Bee
- October 25, 2017
- 6:30 p.m.: Contestant Check-In
- 7 p.m.-9 p.m.: The Adult Spelling Bee
- Printable flyer
- Tupps Brewery - 721 Anderson St, McKinney, TX 75069
- Parking: Right side of the street right across from the brewery next to the open field
- All contestants must be 21 or older. Free entry.
- Contestant registration for The Adult Spelling Bee will be done through the McKinney Public Library’s Ticketleap page.
- Single-error elimination contest.
- All words will be drawn from dictionary.com. In the case of homonyms or homophones, only the correct spelling for the word defined will be accepted.
- Contestants will have at least 30 seconds to spell their word; time limits are subject to change and will be clearly announced at the start of each round.
- The judge’s decision is final on all questions. No appeals.
- Each contestant will spell one word per round. A correct spelling advances that contestant to the next round. Rounds will continue until there is a champion crowned (the only contestant to spell a word correctly in a round).
- If there are no correct spellers in a round, all contestants will remain in the contest and the round will repeat.
- If a champion isn’t crowned in a timely manner (determined by Bee organizers and judges), a championship round will commence. In the championship round, remaining contestants will take turns spelling a predetermined number of words. The round will continue until someone is crowned a champion or there are no more words left. In the event all of the words have been used, contestants remaining will be declared co-champions.
- Electronic devices are prohibited on stage.
- A prize will be awarded for first place. Raffle prizes will be drawn throughout the night for audience members and contestants.
- By participating and/or attending, contestants grant the McKinney Public Library permission to use voice, likeness, and/or image, in conjunction with this event and future events, on television, radio, the internet, and/or print.