Central Continental Bank Building

Central Continental Bank Building

Central Continental Bank Building
115 East Virginia Street

This building is an example of Neo-Classical Revival Style. The Ionic columns divide an inset portico into three bays. The interior of the building was remodeled in the 1930s and much of the original fabric still exists. The building is the only downtown building with a full basement that is accessible from the street. The Central Continental Bank remained in this location from 1918 until 1963 when they moved to a new building at 221 N. Tennessee. The building has been a home to a variety of retail establishments in the basement and on the first floor while the second floor has provided office space for several businesses.

The Continental Bank Building was built on the site of one of the worst disasters in McKinney history. On January 23, 1913, the three-story Odd Fellows building in which the Cheeves Brothers and Sons Dry Goods (aka Mississippi Store) was housed along with the two-story, T.J. Tingle Implement Store (aka Bates Building). The building collapsed, killing eight individuals and injuring 16. People came from the surrounding area to aid in the rescue and clean-up efforts.