Work for Us
The Next Written Test for Firefighter Candidates will be January 24, 2019.
You must apply and be accepted in order to take the Entrance Exam and Physical Agility Test (PAT).
The Application Deadline is Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 5:00 PM or until 500 qualified applications are received.
A information session, "How to Become a McKinney Firefighter" will be held on Tuesday, January 8, 2019 at 6:00 PM at the McKinney Performing Arts Center (111 N. Tennessee St., McKinney, TX 75069). Interested candidates are encouraged to attend.
- Greater Dallas Veterans Job Fair
Nov. 15, 2018 11am-3pm
AT&T Stadium, Arlington, TX
- Fort Hood Job Fair
Dec. 6, 2018 11am-3pm
Club Hood, 24th St. and Wainwright
Fort Hood, TX 76544
- Prairie View A&M University
Spring Career Fair, Feb. 7, 2019
- Grambling University
Spring Career Expo
Feb. 19, 2019
Information About Testing and Hiring
We are pleased you are interested in working for the McKinney Fire Department. Sign up online to be notified of upcoming hiring events.
McKinney is an Equal Opportunity Employer
If you would like more information, please email our Recruiting Officer.
The McKinney Fire Department does not require firefighter or EMS certification as a pre-requisite to take our entrance exam. However, you must be at least 21 years of age and have a minimum of 30 college hours.
- All candidates for employment as a Firefighter undergo an extensive pre-employment process.
- The McKinney Fire Department allows individuals who have not completed a Fire Academy or Paramedic School to apply.
- Newly hired non-firefighter-certified recruits attend the Fire Academy to receive certification as a basic firefighter through the Texas Commission on Fire Protection. Previously certified recruits may proceed immediately to a three-week MFD orientation focused on core competencies. All recruits must complete this orientation prior to shift assignment.
- Once assigned to a fire station, each recruit firefighter must successfully complete a 12-month probationary period. The recruit is monitored and mentored by an assigned station officer. A Probationary Firefighter Task Book is provided to ensure skills meet standards of MFD. Recruit firefighters are tested on materials in the Task Book monthly, with progress documented and reported to the appropriate chief officer. Failure to successfully complete the probationary period is cause for termination.
- The City of McKinney is committed to equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all employees and applicants for employment, consistent with our core values. Discrimination against any person in recruitment, examination, appointment, training, promotion, discipline, pay, layoff or termination, or any other aspect of employment is prohibited. This includes discrimination on the basis of race/color, gender, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, religion, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. Retaliation, intimidation, coercion or harassment against any applicant for employment or employee who may file a complaint or grievance relative to this policy is strictly prohibited. Any employee who violates the provisions of this policy may be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.